Friday, July 08, 2005

breaking up is hard to do

I helped K break up properly with her bfren yesterday. Far from being a painful process, it became quite an amusing one actually, for me, at least. K's the 16-year-old girl I am attached to in this befriending programme that I volunteer for.

So apparently she's been trying to cut ties with him for a month or two, cos she finds she doesn't really like him anymore. But he (also 16) doesn't want to. And this silly K has been torturing her ex with the silent treatment - no reason given at all for the breakup. So I told her, she has to at least cook up a reason!!!

Anyways nowadays youngsters are very different from our generation. It's actually ok to break up via SMS!!! She says of cos face-to-face talk is the best, but if that is too difficult to do, SMS is ok, cos handphones are now the lifeline of teens. Yar, SHE SAID THAT. Aiyo.

I told her, ok, then SMS and say you were not prepared for the relationship (which is partly true). And she says: "Cannot lah! He'll be so mad and say huh, in the first place, not prepared, why start?"

Okaaaaay....so I said, tell him you got problems at home and you need to solve them before you start a relationship (which is also partly true cos her family background is COMPLICATED.) And she says: "Cannot lah! What if I like another guy after I break with him?"

*FAINT*

So I say, ok how about saying you want to concentrate on your studies (which is partly true). And she says: "Aiya don't want la. Cos his ex of one year broke up with him cos of that reason."

OKAAAAAY....so I say, so what is the real reason for breaking up??? And she says cos she doesn't like him that much anymore. Ahh...I see. Ok, so we phrased the SMS like this: "I know you are a very good friend to me, but I find I don't like you enough to carry on a BGR. Sorry, hope you understand."

He replies: "HUH? WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?"

And she's so funny, she replies: "The problem is written in the first message."

And she tells me he's very DUH, never understands what she says.

He replies: "ok la....nvm la....i understand la..."

GOOD.

And she goes: "WAH!!! He understands!!! It's a miracle!!! I feel so light now!!!"

Teens...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

by the time these teens grow up, divorce by sms would be permitted!

but yah, this episode is quite amusing. haha.

Dawn said...

dimsumdolly: hmm...i won't be surprised if divorce would eventually be done thru sms. it's crazy....