Monday, December 12, 2005

Mayday Final Home concert 2005


Dec 10, Saturday, can only be described as 好 high wor!!! Mayday was in town for their one-night concert at Max Pavillion, Singapore Expo. Apparently they were the first to perform at the place.

Leo was testing out his new Canon 20D (digital SLR), and we didn't really know how to get the settings right. So I decided to test it out by going to the stage, before the band came out, to shoot some stuff. Of course, all the press photogs were milling around the area, and I met Trevor! He was shooting for Today. The photogs were only allowed to shoot during the first three songs, so I felt so sad for him. I mean, I felt sad for myself rather, if I were in his shoes that is. So close to the band for only three songs??? How can??? But you know what that Trevor said???

"Stay so long for what? I need to go home and watch Liverpool."

Wah lau. I would die for his place man. Anyways I got him to set the camera for me. Unfortunately though, the lens could only go up to 50mm, which isn't exactly very close up from where we were sitting about 30 rows from the front. So all my beloved Mayday band members still look very small in Leo's camera, tho very much clearer than the pix I have uploaded here that are from my tiny Casio Exilim.

According to Trevor, the band was supposed to sing 41 songs. I didn't count, but they did sing A LOT of songs, and that made me feel like my 100-over-dollar ticket was worth every cent!!! Me, leo and jaz were on our feet for three-and-a-half hours, with our hands (and lightsticks) in the air, belting out whichever songs we knew the lyrics to!!! WOOHOO!!! The concert ended just five minutes shy of midnight! However I was a little disappointed they didn't sing the very solid Hokkien song 麦来乱 :(



Here's jaz and I displaying our favourite number: for 五月天 of course!!! You can't see much from this photo but the concert venue was filled with a sea of red much later. Yeah, like National Day, that's what 阿信 said too. Hee hee. Most fans turned up in red T-shirts.

I must say that the band's musicianship has improved. Or perhaps, they have decided to show off more of their technical prowess at concerts. This time, there were instrumental solos and they were a lot more showy with their skills. I don't know why, but I think Masa, tho he's not very good-looking, looks damn cool playing his bass. Haha.

And I was really glad I got to see the band's 技师团, ie the technicians, ie the damn cool guys (wearing black in the pic) who tune the instruments and make sure everything on stage is going on way ok. They also played the instruments for the band when the members sang one song. So talented! And they look better than the band. Haha! The bassist also looks very cute, tho at this point of time, I'm quite smitten with the leader of the technicians - 士杰. Not sure if that's the correct way to write his name! Heh. He was the backup vocalist for the night too. He's really such a clown :)

All in all, I really had fun. Glad to meet friends I saw at the Mayday concert last year as well! We're such diehards. There was Yunling (that channel 8 newscaster), Peiling (who came with her sis and sis' husband, or was it her bro and her bro's wife??)...Would have met the elusive belle if she had come to say hi to me. Hmph. Anyways, I'm very happy belle, who got free tix courtesy of the mag she works for, sat many rows behind me!!!! HAR HAR HAR. At least I don't feel so cheated having to pay so much money.

From the press, so what? Also sit behind me. :)

Mayday is Stone, Monster, Ashin, Masa and Ming.

Here're two Mayday video clips I shot with my Casio Exilim. They're not very clear and a little shaky (my arms aching from holding camera high up for so long lah). Click on the links for:

1. 终结孤单 (zhong jie gu dan) video

2. 牙关 (ya guan) video

No comments: