Wednesday, December 28, 2005

I love Lucy

Finally caught The Chronicles of Narnia yesterday. So hard to get tickets!!! Unless you buy at Toa Payoh Eng Wah, that is. It is quite a nice place if it wasn't so out of the way for me. It seems like the entire Singapore is booking tickets online or something. I gave up trying to book them on Boxing Day, totally pissed that almost every GV and Eng Wah cinema ('cept Toa Payoh of course) had only the front few rows left.

About the movie: If I hadn't read the books so many times, I would have found the movie fantastic, I guess. It still gave that nice, warm feeling of a fairy tale, but I'd go back to C.S. Lewis' writings any time. His story-telling is so simple yet so captivating. Plus, now that I'm much older and understand its Christian references, I feel like I'm reading a much more exciting version of the bible! Heh!

One character I felt totally disappointed with in the movie was Father Christmas!!! I was really expecting this absurd and absolutely hilarious sight of Santa Claus all dressed in red, with his hearty hohoho, when Beaver crept out to check if the witch was in sight. Instead, it turned out to be an old man togged out in brown, seasoned leather?!?!? Who would know he's Father Christmas??? I always thought the point of including a very un-Narnian fat jolly man in red in the story was sort of like a joke Lewis was playing on his readers. Ah well.

Peter looks rather unkingly, and Susan looks sour. However, Edmund quite looks his part, having somewhat the potential to turn evil. And Lucy, sweet Lucy...I really love Lucy. Don't know why she just reminds me of Drew Barrymore in ET! Think she'll grow up to be one pretty girl :)

1 comment:

alixana said...

Who would know he's Father Christmas???
I agree! I was like, "huh?" during that scene...

But they added in some stuff (the centuar, plus the thrilling chase over the frozen river) which was pretty nice.

I agree about Susan - and I felt that they took her character a little over the top - the original Susan wasn't so contrary! I think Peter was alright - bearing in mind that he is only a young boy who suddenly finds himself hailed as High King in this stange world.

I love Lucy too :) She reminds me of Christina Ricci - it must be those big eyes of hers...