You won't believe my freaky train ride on the NEL. Actually, my mum burst out laughing when I told her the story.
Yesterday, I had boarded the train and was preparing to do some readings for school. This middle-aged woman, seated four seats away, suddenly asked me in Hokkien if she was on the right train. And to let her know when we'd reached her stop at Chinatown.
I went back to reading. Three minutes later, she started talking to me again, asking me where I was going, which block I lived in, (get this) HOW OLD I WAS, etc...while inching her way towards my seat. So, finally, she ended up right next to me and she's firing me questions like she's my best chum. More like an interrogator parading as best pal, actually.
Wah lau, I have friendly face or what????
I tried to be friendly cos I figured she probably had no one to talk to at home (!), but at the same, who the hell was she that I had to give away my private life just like that??? If I didn't want to answer, I simply said, in Hokkien, "don't want to say", "don't know how to say in Hokkien" or "mumblemumblesomethinglikethatlah!"
What are you studying? (don't know how to say in Hokkien)
How old are you (she asked me five times)? (don't want to say) to which she replied: "Aiya I'm auntie already leh, you so much younger than me, no need to be paiseh lah!" (don't want to say)
What course are you taking? How long is it? How much are your fees? What do your parents work as? Do you have a boyfriend? What does he do? Does your mum like him? How much does he earn? HOW OLD ARE YOU? Are you getting married soon? You look so young, your mum must be very young?
To make her stop asking, I made her talk about herself. After only one question, she spilled her 33-year-old unmarried son's entire life history on rejecting the girls she's tried to matchmake him with. This went on for the next 20 minutes. I even now know that he makes $3K a month teaching IT and he gives $500 to her as pocket money.
Being nice, I replied: "Aiya auntie, your son got no girlfriend never mind lah. Slowly...one step at a time. Most importantly, he loves you!" (which elicited a "CHEH!" from her).
She then said she would be meeting her son at some NTUC somewhere and he would be taking her for dinner.
And guess what! On my way home from school five hours later, SHE WAS ON THE SAME TRAIN!!!! WITH THAT UNMARRIED SON OF HERS!!!!
Is that freaky or what???????? She recognised me too and smiled! Thank goodness I had one classmate who was taking the train all the way home with me. Once I exited, I walked damn fast home man. No woman, no more talking please!
Wednesday, October 05, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
how bizarre!
wahlau. but quite funny leh
Goodness!
This story sounds way too familiar though - methinks another friend of mine also genna this lady before.
Someone post up a PSA, quick!
Hey Dawn, maybe you rode the LOVE train. Hahah, so funny!
to all: i now enter the 5.45pm train very cautiously! hahaha
u learnt sth from it? to stop someone keep asking u on your pte life... counter-asking. though, u don't really interested to know him/her!! haha. that's what i learnt also eheh
Man, hope she won't turn out to be a stalker....freaky!!!
MY GOSH miss dawn, this is damn funny lor...hahaha hahahah freaky but i got my fair share before also- bttm
Post a Comment