Sunday, October 16, 2005

cerebral palsy and shopping

I was looking so forward to my planned shopping trip at Far East Plaza last Friday. Cocoatina was supposed to have joined me, if she was free. But, she couldn't make it, and off I went alone after interviewing a physio at The Spastic Children's Association in the morning.

About the interview first. It was a really enjoyable interview because the physio was such a sweet lady, and she demonstrated how she helped this four-year-old boy with cerebral palsy carry out exercises that would train him to move independently. Edward was such a sweet boy too! He can't hold up his head and upper body when he sits (he flops down on the rubber mat each time he sits), so the physio was constantly encouraging him to sit up and teaching him to control his body. He loves Barney, so one of the exercises involved enticing him to stretch his arms out to touch the Barney book. Which he did! And we all said "Yay! Good job Edward!"

Anyways, Edward had such a grumpy look on his face all the time (he can't talk, by the way). His maid then started hitting her hands on the rubber mat, while laughing and calling out "Edward!". And this actually tickled him so much his lips twitched into a faint smile, and a wider grin, and finally a loud laugh that sounded like a big sneeze! Hahaha. So cute. We all laughed when grumpy Edward finally wiped away the frown from his face :)

And now to shopping. Well, I covered the whole of Far East Plaza I think. Spent five hours there? Bought four tops and an evening dress (and nearly bought a pair of shoes. Anyone knows where to find cute black ballerina-type pumps?). Later on, I popped over to Raffles City, where I bought two pairs of earrings.

Extremely satisfied. This also means I'm taking on more freelance writing jobs to make up for the shortfall. $230 in one day, I believe. Eeks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

aiyah, pls go shopping with me! i so need to shop for more clothes and shoes!

Dawn said...

dsd: aiya but you not free in the day on weekdays leh... ANYWAYS, you need to save money! hahaha. no lah, of cos we can go together. by the way, today i bought two more tops from Far East. going mad!

alixana said...

$230. Not bad, girl. Not bad indeed! :)