
I wish I could call playing music my passion. But if passion was measured by the time I spend practising my electric piano, acoustic guitar and vocal chords, I think it should be called an occasional pastime - at best.
Should I thank God that I'm able to play the piano decently for my church worship services? I suffer from the jitters every time the good pianists (they play for gigs and teach music) are in the congregation, because I know I can't hide my lack of practice. Sorry God, I know I'm supposed to give you my best.
The skin on my fingers is as soft as cotton now. Without the callousness, pressing guitar strings is a pain. Literally. To think that I used to compose songs with that beloved instrument. Actually, that was partly due to James' influence.
James the music fanatic composes songs, improves his jazz guitar like nobody's business and spends his money freely on music recording equipment. But James has, for many months, stopped bugging me with the MSN message: "New song?"
How do some people possess such enduring passion? What's your passion? If you have one - that is.
3 comments:
Music is (or used to be) my passion, but I'm rusty from the lack of practice as well. Seeing Our Mutual Friend's (OMF) amazing skills during rehearsals and services really humbles me. And yes, I get the jitters too.
Recently I've been trying to seak in practices whenever feasible (i.e. not disturbing the neighbours), but I have to admit, I just can't play as well as OMF. When it comes to improvisation, at least. I'm sure I can beat him at classical music anytime, anyday ;D
Remember the parable about the talents given to the three servants? The ones who used them were rewarded with more, the one who buried his under the ground lost it and was rebuked by his master. That parable was pretty instrumental (no pun intended!) in nudginng me back to the music ministry.
How do some people possess such enduring passion?
Once upon a time I'd say that they made it a major priority of their lives, that they wound every thread of their being into their passion day in, day out. Once you stop doing that, passion fades. Guess passion isn't something that just comes naturally for most people - it also has to be nurtured and worked at. Kind of like our walk with God, yes? :)
WAH aime my friend! every time you respond, you're like writing a thesis!!! hahaha. but i appreciate it :) so i must also write my thesis!
someone once said that passion is nurtured by doing, doing and doing over and over again. i guess in a way it's true.
so, the question is, which comes first? the intense love for something (which sparks the repeated doing? or the disciplined repetition that gives birth to the intense love? like the chicken-and egg conundrum.
hehe. Paiseh. Just that the stuff you write very thought-provoking lah... :p
I guess for me, passion was sparked off by an initial interest. But only with a lot of work and dedication did it become a 'passion' rather than just a 'hobby'. You love, but not intensely, first. That love drives you to disciplined repetition, which results in greater love. Do I make sense?
Anyway, how long must your thesis be? I miss academia!
Post a Comment