
Pigs are flying!!! I actually handled a frying pan..to..to..to..COOK!!! I never knew this day would arrive. Was so tempted to look out the window to catch sight of a soaring porky pig, but I restrained myself. Siao ah!!!!????
I fried a marinated chicken fillet, and prepared a salad for myself. Ok lah, not much of cooking (since the only thing that needed cooking was the chicken and hard-boiled egg), BUT STILL, it's a first.
Here's what it involved:
Chicken breast (from NTUC) marinated in Tai Hua chicken marinate, light soya sauce and sesame oil. My mum was very helpful indeed. Like all cooks, she said: "just add a bit of this a bit of that a bit of this." Err...I just whacked lah. Think I put too much sesame oil. Anyone got a good marinate recipe to suggest?
As for the salad, it had local lettuce, which I chose cos I once interviewed the farmer who grows this Pasar brand of lettuce in Choa Chu Kang!!! So supportive right, me? The leaves showed off a beautiful green and looked yummy. But I found out later that the taste is not sweet enough.
Other stuff in the salad were one sliced tomato, one sliced hard-boiled egg, and some Philadelphia cheese.
There was some panic in the kitchen for some moments, cos (1) I forgot to lay the newspapers to keep the nearby surfaces clean of splattering oil (my mum's gonna kill me) and (2) I forgot to keep the clothes hanging in the kitchen in case they smelt of cooked food (my mum's gonna kill me). All these I remembered halfway through cooking and frantically rushed around to keep the clothes and dig out the newspapers.
Phew. After wiping up, the kitchen, thankfully, it looks and feels worthy of my mum's entrance tonight. :) Bon appetit.
3 comments:
hahaha, good first move!!! can i say you're inspired to cook by me?? hehehehehe... u know what, that day when i went to bras basah complext to borrow/return books right, i saw one cook book and i bought it! hahaha. at a very special price of $5 :) it's a bilingual cook guide. maybe i can lend it to you next time hehehe want?
belle: heh heh why not? lend me! i'm cooking not only cos of inspiration, but also out of sheer desperation! so sick of eating at the kopitiam downstairs!
Great work, the whole meal looks delicious! You're smart to start easy... you might get discouraged if you do too much too soon.
Post a Comment