Wednesday, August 03, 2005

tai tais on a shoestring budget

We are tai tais on a shoestring budget. We don't work, we like to shop, and we hanker after a good bargain. This white pair of jappo shoes is evidence. Buy two for $45!!!

And err...get each pair for a dollar cheaper??? Actually what kind of bargain is that ah??? Ah, what the heck lah, cocoatina and I still got them, hers a funky bright green pair.

Welcome to Bugis Village. Revamped, yes, but how long ago I don't know, cos when I hadn't earned my tai tai status, I hardly visited. But after reading a recent Straits Times article on the heep and happenin' AND CHEAP stuff retailing at this Heeren-wannabe, and with support from fellow tai-tai-on-a-shoestring-budget cocoatina, the shopping trip thus materialised.

To get to the abovementioned new shops, after you enter Bugis Village, look for small lanes on one side of it. Shops that caught the eyes of this young tai tai included Fresh Box, a streetwear boutique stocked with locally designed T-shirts. The guys' Tees each cost $18.90. Reasonable.

Another shop sold all Adidas jackets and track pants. Ultra cool. We salivated at one black sporty trenchcoat (Yes! Adidas trenchcoat complete with signature triple stripes!), but alas, tai tais don't wear sporty trenchcoats. Not in keeping with the image, and definitely not within budget. We didn't bother to ask!

We carried on our exploration to the second floor and were pleasantly greeted by the cool air-conditioning...and...MORE SHOPS!!!

I spotted a shop all dog lovers will go ga-ga over. It sells doggy T-shirts! Actually, at first, I thought they were real cute outfits for lil' Ethan in cocoatina's arms, until she exclaimed: "THEY ARE FOR DOGS!!!"

Oops. Sorry Ethan. Godma has erred.

But but but, watch out for the price. A size seven Adidas-inspired bright orange Tee with blue hemlines (it said Adidog!! HAHAH!) cost $29.90!!! That's big enough for leo's westie to wear, but DEFINITELY not within budget.

As us tai tais walked away from the shop, still reeling in shock at the exorbitant price, we agreed that there was no way we would even spend that much on ourselves.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gosh, you two! I'm so envious! Hahah..

BUT I'll be on leave next week, one glorious week! I intend to get a pedi done in town, wanna meet for a tai-tai lunch at... uhm, a foodcourt?

RealLifeReading said...

ooh... makes me want to do some shopping! when i wander around town, i always leave empty-handed (not counting books and cds) cos everything's just same and boring!

belle said...

hey next time count me in leh.. haha...

Dawn said...

olduvai: you might find something at bugis village :)

cocoatina: NO! CANNOT BUY! sure get blisters! and you got too many unworn shoes (according to you)...

belle: you called too late that day, girl. bad timing. ok, quick take leave!