Was it one week ago, there was that melodramatic ST article about the crumbling relationship between Ronald Susilo and Li Jiawei? It's when things like that get printed that I feel "wah lau, nothing to report is it?" I think the reporter probably feels the same way, but has no choice but to follow instructions from the top. I'm just guessing lah.
Anyway, that was then.
There was one Saturday package that I was especially happy about. It featured young people with achievements that defied the common notion of what achievements are. And one story stood out for me. I can't remember the details, but in short, this boy dropped out of sec sch, worked for six years, before going to ITE. Now at 24 yrs old, he's about to graduate from ITE. He's got a design scholarship to uni, and also designed one of the rooms at Gallery Hotel. Something like that.
I thought to myself, he sounds very much like my 17-year-old youth, a girl who has repeated a few years in sec sch, probably can't continue in the school, aims to study fashion design, and is terribly discouraged about being such an overaged student. I cut out the article to show her and she was genuinely impressed with the guy's achievements. If he can do it, why can't she?
And so, I thank the newspaper for that article. Hopefully, it can encourage others I meet along the way!
Sunday, October 29, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Re Susilo and Jiawei article: yes, you're right.
hey kartaly, was that a piece of insider information from you? hah.
Post a Comment