555. That's "ha ha ha" for you in Thai. Whenever Jai, a Thai friend of Leo, chats online with him, she punches that number in to represent laughter. How cute! 555!
Anyways, I met her in Bangkok three years back on a trip there with Leo and his friends and got to know her as well. Over the weekend, Leo and I flew over again to attend her wedding. And of course, to enjoy a much-needed break. Finally, we could spend quality time together as a couple!
This time round, I wasn't so crazy about shopping anymore. Just a few months ago on a trip to Bangkok with some church friends, I got stuck with a shopping queen and couldn't even stop to see the sights and feast on the cheap good food. I ended up with only two pictures for the entire trip. This time round, I went with the sole aim of just enjoying a relaxing time and I ate sooooooo much!!! Shall post a few pictures of the yummy eats I tucked into.
As for Jai and Tee's wedding, it was an interesting experience too. Although it was a standard 8-10 course Chinese banquet dinner at Narai Hotel in Silom Road, we had dishes that were slightly different from those served in Singapore. For example, there was this broth-like thing with goose feet and I think fish maw, which was, all right. The first dish (you know the one which in Singapore has five different types of foods on a platter) had cashew nuts and this popiah thingy filled with sweetened peanuts. Etc.
The bridal couple also took pictures with ALL the guests before they entered the ballroom. We all took turns to stand in front of this rather cheesy backdrop (haha) decorated with white and red roses, plus a big curvy heart in the centre. Poor Jai, she said she had smiled all night till her jaws ached like mad!
The yum seng: Well, they don't say yum seng, of course. Instead, when everyone stands up for a toast, a 30-second midi-created fanfare tune sounds from the keyboard before everyone goes "jai! yoke! jai! yoke!" Err...something like that lah. I was more amused by the midi tune!
There's also karaoke on a small stage in the front where apart from the hired singer, any brave soul can belt out a song. There was this teenage girl who sang not bad, and her grandmother (well, this old woman I assume to be her grandmother) tottered up, leaning against another woman for support, to present the girl a rose for moral support! Heh.
Oh, the Thais actually practise throwing the bouquet for single females to catch as well. The activity caused quite a stir among all the ladies and one lone guy - Jai's brother Boy. That cheeky fella ended up catching the flowers to much laughter.
Well, Leo was very happy to catch up with his Thai friends, cos he's closer to them than I am. He's known them since they were in primary school, although they only got closer in recent years. They are five siblings - Jai (27yrs and the oldest, sis), Boy (bro), Bon (bro), Bern (sis) and Ball (bro).
Okie...photos coming your way!
Thursday, March 03, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Sure sounds like you had loads of fun! Good for you!
dsd: it sure was fun. sigh...now back to work...boring...
Post a Comment