Friday, March 11, 2005

Tired

I don't know if you have that same feeling, but every time I'm overworked, I feel pukish in the mornings. And it happened today! I actually did throw up the pear I ate for breakfast. Eww...gross. The last time I felt this way was at NewsXXXX!

I think it's the fatigue (think late nights) coupled with the endless writing of meaningless things that I swear become what a friend calls pang sai zhua (loosely translated as toilet paper). This week has been quite crazy, handling three stories, coordinating one supplement and writing this advertorial (two full broadsheet pages) that required 12 interviews. It's not so much the writing that drove me nuts, but the infinite stream of phonecalls and emails I had to make to chase people for answers. In fact, I'm still waiting for this last person to call me in a few minutes.

I am definitely not cut out to be a multitasker. Stresses me like crazy when they are deadlines to meet.

So anyways, it's Friday today, and I've finished all I need to do. Almost. I can only breathe a sigh of yay. Oh yes, on a side note, I'm quite happy I'm reading The Gastronomical Me by MFK Fisher. Makes me happy reading how food, to her, is the breathe of life. I need to learn that. Take it easy, enjoy the gastronomical sensations, relax.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, where did you get that book from?? I've been looking for it!

Dawn said...

dsd: i bot it at borders. wasn't actually looking out for it, jus happened to read the synopsis and thought it sounded nice. and it is nice! tho i'm still going through it slowly.....busy lar....

Anonymous said...

The title sounds interesting - what's it about ah? Is it like Kitchen Confidential? Is the writing good? I love reading about food. Can live - and eat - vicariously through it!

Anonymous said...

I think M.K.F Fisher's writing is a lot more elegant than Anthony Bourdain's. Think the only similarity is that they talk about food. But hey, as long as it's about food, it makes for an interesting read!

Dawn said...

xy: yep elegant's the word to describe her writing. here's a peek. she talks about having a meal alone with her Father for the first time as a little girl:

That night I not only saw my Father for the first time as a person. I saw the golden hills and the live oaks as clearly as I have ever seen them since; and I saw the dimples in my little sister's fat hands in a way that still moves me because of that first time; and I saw food as something beautiful to be shared with people instead of as a thrice-daily necessity.

Anonymous said...

Sounds lovely. Will probably get it this weekend. By the way, I have this other droolsome book called Tender To The Bone. Written by a former food editor from NYT, I believe. Very nice too.

Want to buy some of the new books that's been released - Murakami's Kafka on the Shore and Peter Carey's To Tokyo (or something like that). But I shall, I shall not be over-indulgent...

Anonymous said...

xy: I would also recommend that you read Mimi Sheraton's "Eating My Words: An Appetite for Life". She's best known as a food reviewer for the NYT in the 80s. This is her memoir and it's really good. Very interesting stuff about food and restaurants.