Monday, April 07, 2008

Wu Jiahui (伍家輝): more than 一人一半

On Sat, I attended Wu Jiahui's "listening party", or what they call 試聽會, a mini gathering where you get to sample songs from a soon-to-be released album. You might be thinking...Wu Jia WHO??? Yes, Wu Jiahui, the unknown singer of 一人一半, that famous mandarin-hokkien ditty that made Royston Tan's movie 881 so famous (that's how I like to think of it!).

Now, how did I even come to be invited to such a "listening party"? Well, being quite a fan of the music of songwriter/musician Eric Ng, I keep track of the happenings of his indie music label Funkie Monkies Productions. So yar, then I attended the event lah! At first I felt a bit out of place, cos I went alone and many females (of the 30plus pple present, only 3 were male!!!) were pretty much groupies! I was like oh man, so groupie!!! Ok if you think I'm bad, I think they're so much more ON! Haha. But every celeb needs such groupies lah, so it's good for them :)

Anyways, we had to rate the four best songs we liked of the 10 (was it?) songs we sampled. Our feedback would actually be considered by the label in their decision to promote certain songs. So yeah, it's really quite cool to have your opinions valued :)

The album is really good by the way. Jiahui's compositions are solid, and I especially like his fast numbers. He's got really good groove on his guitar too! Not your typical Chinese pop album, something really refreshing, memorable and catchy. I'm gonna buy it when it's released on 14 April. In the meantime, read more about him here.

(Some people feel he sounds waaaayy too much like a girl, but well, his voice grew on me...so...)

No comments: