Monday, April 28, 2008

Mayday 回到地球表面 Concert 26 April 08

Mayday concerts are never lonely affairs for me. Because somehow, I will always discover a friend who would be at the concert as well. My phone would ring, and I would always end up standing next to my seat, waving my hands in the air, so that some friend sitting somewhere far away would locate me.

This time, I did say that I wanted to sit throughout the concert because I was tired. I WAS TIRED. But when the audience got high and crazy, I seriously felt left out seated. I made a choice to stand, and am I glad I did it. Of course, I sat during some of the quiet songs (I lao liaos lah), but that was only for a while. This year's concert was so much better than last year's, in terms of flow. I don't know how to describe it, but it just flowed and rocked man. No time was wasted, the band really interacted with the audience, and everybody went home satisfied.

I think for me, there were a few moments - some exciting, some poignant.

1. Two parallel runways were erected, linking the stage to an "aerobridge" opposite the stage. Imagine the two runways, "aerobridge" and stage forming a rectangle. Hence, when the band members took turns to run the length of the runway to the "aerobridge", everyone went crazy, especially those who were sitting just next to the runway. There were fans clamouring to tap Ashin's shoulders and back. I mean seriously, if I were sitting there, I would have touched his back, plonked my face next to his back and got someone to shoot a picture of me. Haha. It was THAT CLOSE.

2. Stone performed solo a song dedicated to his one-year-old son. It was just him on guitar singing, accompanied by the pianist. I mean, he went out of tune a bit lah, but whad'ya expect, he's not the lead singer. Nevertheless, it was just really touching seeing a hard-rocking electric guitarist singing a lullaby-like song for his kiddo.

3. Frankly, it was only when I looked at the videos I took (which have really bad quality by the way, I need to change my dinosaur of a camera), that I realised how well the band rocks the crowd. People are just swaying and jumping to the music, it's incredible. Yes, Ashin, tho you are pitchy (to quote the American Idol judges) at times, Mayday still rocks the crowd man.

My $131 ticket was worth every cent.

Watch two videos here:
The band rocks the crowd


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

omg you're right! the atmosphere is so much better than last year from your videos.
and i actually see a sea of blue lights. nothing like that last year lor.
hope the sound was better than last year too!
:)

Anonymous said...

I was at the concert too and was fortunate enough to be seated in row 1 near the runway! Before the concert started, I thought I'll reach out to touch Ashin/take a photo with him too, but somehow when he really was standing right in front of me, all I could do was gape. XD

Dawn said...

hey anon, who're you?
well, u know, altho i talk so much, i think i'd have done the same as you! i was in the same lift as mayday many years back (thanks to a tipoff from moon), and i was like 10cm away from ashin, but all i cld do was stand there like a goondu and not even shake their hands. wah lau eh. bestest! haha.

Anonymous said...

hi.. sorry I didn't leave my name. just happened to chance upon your blog. I love Mayday! ^^

-yz