Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Knotty affair

I don't believe it, the millionth person has asked me today when I'm tying the knot.

You know how you always hear of people complaining about other people asking when they're getting hitched? And you don't really think those questions will one day get thrown in your face persistently? Sigh.

My mum has taken to flipping the papers and going: "Hey, check out this Sengkang flat. It's the last of the ready ones, I don't think the government's gonna build anymore. Unless you guys wanna wait another 10 years? Oh wait, WHEN are you guys getting married?"

Leo's grandma (YES!!!) has been telling him it's ok not to be financially ready. Just do it! And just last monday, his mother asked him to check out a flat in Clementi.

So this week, both of us, feeling very stressed, started asking each other whether we had enough in our CPF. He went on the HDB website to check on the buying process. Sheesh. We are like the most clueless people on home-hunting in Singapore! And then he said, oh wait, let's check the papers and look for houses. And I'm like, oh ok!

And then...he breathed the longest sigh and said: "Oh no, we were getting caught up in the rat race."
And I said, forget it, let's go for lunch, it's too stressful.

I don't know. For the longest time, I have taken pride in being with a guy who thinks different from the rest. He's always wanted to do things differently. He wants to work overseas, he's spontaneous, he doesn't mind renting a nice house, he's great at finding shortcuts when doing things etc. But you know what? In Singapore, everything is about money. I don't know if we can succeed in living our lives different from the rest of Singapore, since we're not very rich people ourselves!

Leo's conclusion is to join the rat race subtly, cos we can never escape it. Makes sense. Leo's ultimate dream is to run a resort on some island. Haha. I'm fine with that since I'm quite a beach girl myself. He can scuba dive all he wants!

I really don't wanna go through the whole typical couple process - get married in a big grand affair, buy an HDB flat in Sengkang, have kids, get stuck in a job, and then what? Maybe that's why I don't feel I'm ready to settle down? I don't know...Or maybe, I just don't wanna grow up. I wanna be a Toys r Us kid forever, perhaps.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes, please don't get sucked into the rat race. Please go and run that resort together with Leo. I promise to be a loyal customer if you do so. :p

Dawn said...

dsd: yeah! haha come come! always welcome! imagine sunkissed skin...swaying palm trees...clear blue skies...crystal clear waters...like heaven

Anonymous said...

please throw in a few gorgeous hunks too. heehee.

RealLifeReading said...

i fully agree. clear waters, blue skies, gorgeous hunks... i'm there!

Anonymous said...

pls dun forget the babes....

Dawn said...

brother: chee hong kia....