Thursday, April 07, 2005

Busy busy stork...

We are definitely gonna exceed our replacement rate this year. I seriously think the government's baby bonus is working!!! Just look at all the pregnant celebs, my two assistant eds (who are close to 40), Cocoatina aka cow-at-work, and all of Kelvin's church friends!!! I don't kid you, when Kelvin was still sitting next to me at work, it seemed like he got smses about deliveries every two weeks. I dunno man....

And yesterday, I was privy to this very amusing conversation between this photog (mature new mother) and designer (very pregnant woman in her 30s) in the library at my office building. Well, they were not exactly speaking very softly where they were sitting just opposite me in the lounge area. I know the photog, by the way. And, indeed, I was very distracted by what they were saying as I tried to concentrate on my magazines. Haha. Here's an excerpt:

Designer: Eh, I'm gonna buy a steriliser today. My sister-in-law says must buy.

Photog: Yar yar, do that.

Designer: Eh so must sterilise everyday right? (At this point, I'm wondering...she should be talking about cleaning milk bottles right? I donno mah...I'm not a mother!)

Photog: No need la! If not, next time your baby got a little bit of germ then fall sick. No good!

(Here the conversation is too soft for me to hear...but it progresses to some brand of baby bottles called Avan or something like that. We'll call the brand Avan.)

Designer: So is Avan good or not?

Photog: Well if you buy Avan, you must buy everything Avan. It's not like the other brands where you can mix and match bottles and teats and stuff. Avan's teats are very big (I think I heard that) so they can't be used with other brands.

Designer: Really? Eh...I didn't know leh. (muffled conversation here...but it progresses to electric pumps for expressing milk.)

Photog: I used my friend's electric pump. It's really good you know. Very compact. I mean I didn't buy la, cos it's cheaper to share.

Designer: Eh, is it? Anyone using it now?

Photog: Yar, my friend has taken it back cos she needs to feed her kid. You wanna see how it looks like? XXX (a sub-editor) has one on her table now. I can show you later!

Designer: Okok. Eh by the way, I tell you ah...my husband says I'm a pain in the ass.

Photog: Huh? What you mean?

Designer: Because I pregnant ah, no morning sickness, no aches, no nothing. But only got pain in my ass!

Photog: LAUGHS. (At this point, photog looks at me sheepishly and apologises for distracting me. She then leaves.)

Designer: (She turns to me after getting up from her seat.) Hey it's true you know, I only got pain in my ass!!! Wah my ass very pain now!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha...dear, they were talking about AVENT milk bottles...n they are the first piece of advice i'd give any new parents! anti-colic! saves u n baby plenty of tears! *thumbs up* ok...nuff mummy talk...miss u!

Dawn said...

cow-at-home: ah....i see i see...so i learn something new. thankews ;) anyways jus saw this mini headline on front pg of TNP. it says "37,292 S'pore babies born last year - fewest ever". Hmm...this year the number WILL shoot up. I'm sure. Garmen will be ecstatic.

Anonymous said...

This entry is damn hilarious. Hmm, is the photog SY? No clue who the designer is though.

Dawn said...

kartaly: haha, yes it's SY!!! i donno the designer's name..

Anonymous said...

pain in the ass??? hmmmm it only leaves to one reason why.... the husband actually uses the ass as an entry when he needs a release... muahahahaha

Anonymous said...

pain in the ass??? hmmmm it only leaves to one reason why.... the husband actually uses the ass as an entry when he needs a release... muahahahaha

Anonymous said...

pain in the ass??? hmmmm it only leaves to one reason why.... the husband actually uses the ass as an entry when he needs a release... muahahahaha

Anonymous said...

pain in the ass??? hmmmm it only leaves to one reason why.... the husband actually uses the ass as an entry when he needs a release... muahahahaha