Mr Jai the old man played an unexpected word game with me on Friday. He was looking for a meat mincer to make jam. (More about that later.) At first, he thought he wouldn't be able to find it from the clutter in his house and had wanted to see if he could borrow one from me, if I had.
But when I visited him, he asked me to pick up a piece of paper with torn edges from the table and this is what it read:
"I was finally able to FIND the meat mincer."
He looked me in the eyes and said: "You're a writer. Tell me, is there a better word for "find"?"
Stressed, I offered "chanced upon" and "discover", but he shook his head. Finally, he told me to turn the slip of paper over and there was the word "locate" staring back at me. What a sense of humour this guy has!
As for the jam business, well, he suddenly missed his late mum's jam and wanted to try his hand at it. It's gonna be pretty tough cos he has to peel lots of oranges (yes, orange jam), shred the peel and cook them. But it's gonna be interesting to see how he manages it :)
Sunday, February 13, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment