Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Eat, drink and be merry!

Six of us had our wonderful reunion dinner at an Italian restaurant called Menotti (next to Delifrance) at Raffles City last night. And we had great food and dessert! Haha, let me talk about the desserts first.

We shared three different bowls of gelato, with interesting combinations of flavours and toppings. Menotti has so many varieties of yummy gelato, you'd be spoilt for choice. I'll post the pictures once Marilyn my 16-year-old cousin uploads them. She went berserk shooting the pix and I helped do a bit of food styling (you know, put a wine glass here and there) though err...didn't turn out very successful. Ha!

Mavis my cousin had the Portofino - three scoops of vanilla gelato, each topped with a puffy pastry. Ooo...yum :) My favourite.
Marilyn had the Menotti - chocolate, strawberry and something else. Not bad.
I had the Sorrento - lemon, passionfruit and chocolate chip! Such interesting combi. The rich cream and milk of the chocolate chip gelato balanced the sharp sour flavours of the other two perfectly. The gelato was topped off with a fruit salad and two cookies.

Prices were very reasonable, about $8 for my Sorrento, for example. Dinner was value for money too. I had duck leg braised in red wine, served with mash potato. It cost about $18. Not bad. And the portions were just right. Maybank and UOB cardholders get 15 per cent discount too! I have both cards. Heh.

After dinner, we adjourned to the River Hongbao. Pretty fun soaking in the festive mood there too. The God of Fortune was a towering giant, by the way. Of cos, trigger-happy Marilyn kept snapping all the way. I took pix with my mum in front of our zodiac animal - the goat. They were sort of gigantic lanterns and came in a family of four - Papa, Mama, and two kids (no pun intended!). The other animals were displayed all over a big square.

Anyways, let me do a 10 amusing things I observed last night (ala magazines' usual 10 things I never knew...):
1. My aunt (oldest one) and my mum have never been inside the Esplanade. My aunt even thought we were not allowed to step further inside the building cos she assumed you needed tickets of something. Yes, suaku, they admitted :)
2. The zodiac Dragon at River Hongbao is a bl**dy pink!!! According to Marilyn, who was utterly disappointed that HER animal was such a disgusting colour, said it looked like a COW. Haha.
3. .... oops...have run out of things I noticed. Hahahaha. FAIL! HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!! BE KIND TO CHICKENS THIS YEAR!!! :)

No comments: