Sunday, January 16, 2005

Mayday Mayday

My legs are killing me and my back is suffering!

Stood from 7.30pm to 11pm just to catch four songs that Mayday was singing at the Alive concert just now. Wah laus. Can dies. The organisers were very smart. Put them as the last item so that the crowds would stay. And why not? The rest were not big names. Oh there was this horrible ABC guy called errr...Jeremy something from Taiwan who looked like a wimp. Bleah.

Well, to give the other artistes credit, some were really quite good. Like Chou Pi Jiang - a local Chinese rap group - who opened the show. Actually I feel quite sorry for them. They are really talented. I remember about five years ago watching them rap in Hokkien at a cafe performance and I thought to myself, gosh I never knew Hokkien rap sounded this good. And from Singaporeans! Cool guys. But somehow, they've never failed to charm Singapore's audiences. Hmm...I guess they would have had to be lucky like Steph Sun - win the Taiwanese audience over, then you'll receive some sort of recognition from Singapore. CPJ's been around for more than 10 years I believe, but who has heard of them? I wish things would look up for them!

Oh there was this Malay rap group who performed alongside CPJ and later did their own item. They were REALLY good. Sing much better than Taufik. Was really impressed. But one of the guys quite gek seh, kept trying to keep up the black-style "wassup wassup" type of coolness. Yucks.

Anyways, so it turned out that everybody was waiting for Mayday and we had to like wait for the minister to give cheque to Red Cross la, some ex Echo boy to sing the new song penned for the tsunami victims etc etc BEFORE my beloved Mayday finally came on. Me and Jaz had to squat for a few min before they were on just to soothe our aching backs. Jaz said mus save energy to sing and jive along to Mayday. Haha.

Mayday is the best. I think I'm so enamoured by them cos they remind me of my lost dreams! I've always wanted to have my own band, sing my own songs...Mayday's band members are around my age and slightly older and they kinda represent my never-to-be-fulfilled aspirations! They sing of hope, letting lose and enjoying life, fun, living life to the fullest etc. Especially when it's in Hokkien. THEY ARE THE BEST.

Oh, some of their ballads are pretty nice too. Like the recent one composed by Guan You called Superman. Here's a very loose translation of some of the chorus lyrics. You know, these metaphoric lyrics are always more beautiful when phrased in Mandarin. So anyways the song goes something like this. Forgive my clumsy translation:

Why is it always easier to save the world
But I'm helpless when it comes to saving our relationship.
Why is it that I'm able to fly and touch down on this earth?
But I have no idea how to get into your heart...

Sigh...quite sad right?

No comments: