Monday, September 07, 2009

up UP and away

For the record, I'm not the only person who cried while watching Disney-Pixar's lastest cartoon Up. My colleague KQ cried, my Melby friend Sooty cried, AND an 8 Days writer cried. Can I pls add that this writer I am referring to is a guy (refer to Page 24 of this week's issue). So, I remember KQ bumbling into office one day and telling me that she watched the movie, and she had this really happily thoughtful expression on her face. I asked her what the theme was, and she said after some more thought: "Adventure." And I was just thinking to myself, oh...it's just one of those Indiana Jones type movies, just that it's animated this time. But anyhows, I watched it, and I cried.

I cried because I thought the movie was really about unfulfilled dreams and love. When unfulfilled dreams are chased with love, the journey - more often than not - turns out to be better than expected. When old man Carl flipped his late wife's "My Adventure Book", and found unexpected photos she had pasted of their marriage life, he was surprised that she called their years together an adventure of her life, instead of her childhood dream to build their house on Paradise Falls. 

Encouraging him to seek out his new adventure after her death, she gave him permission to branch out from his old life. And I feel, with that, he gave himself permission to do so as well. And what a great adventure he had, with a renewed connection with a strange chubby 8-year-old called Russell - and a talking dog.

++++++

Well, I know not what possibilities there are for me now, because I only know what I know now. I hope that too, I will find my new adventure, with love as my intent and inspiration always, even if love doesn't turn out to be quite what I expected. May I open my eyes to see my floating house.


5 comments:

dimsumdolly said...

I haven't managed to catch this on the big screen so I'll have to get hold of it on DVD some how. Monoceros told me she cried, too, when she watched UP. It certainly sounds like a movie for us – the dreamers and the chasers of love. Yup, let it be our adventure!

alixana said...

I cried watching the movie too, as did my bro, who watched it with me :) Lovely lovely message.

Anonymous said...

i cried too!
but jamie thought i was mad. haha..

Dawn said...

wow! so many cried!!! yes pple it was a great movie.

moon: tell jamie she donno nothing lah.... tsk tsk... ;p

bttm said...

ouch ..your post made me cry. am sure the movie will do that to me