Saturday, June 09, 2007

Release, relief


Title: eye peering out of blue egg shell


Title: jack in a box

Over the three-day experiential and creative arts therapy course, we had produced art pieces of seemingly ordinary experiences. The topmost one (Title: eye peering out of blue egg shell) was a response to having to move to a piece of music played. The one below it (Title: jack in a box) was a response to a 15-minute wordless stroll with a fellow participant at Fort Canning Park.

At the end of the three days, we were told to look over our artwork to find common themes. I remembered what F said about my drawings being about "boxes", and how she would not have thought about drawing "boxes", and I went hmm... Interestingly, yes.

And after much thought, one theme emerged and fit for me: When I release my grief and fear, then I experience relief and comfort.

I've been such a closed up person all my life, afraid to let others know how I really feel. If I could describe myself, I would be a bottle with a tight cap. It was the need to be strong for myself, and for the people I love, that I refused to be opened. I was afraid to imagine what it would be like to be vulnerable, and how that would affect those close to my heart. So I remained closed.

But. Now, I'm glad. Glad that I'm releasing. Because I'm finding relief. And the best part is, I find that I'm not hurting myself or those I love. And I'm healing. Great stuff.

No comments: