Belle has quit.
And we had drinks to celebrate her newfound freedom yesterday - her last day at work. Somehow she felt like I did when I first quit. It's like I never really did leave, because I kept returning to do freelance work. But I'm sure, soon enough, she'd feel the identity loss that both cocoatina and I experienced. It's like all of a sudden it hits you, O gosh, who am I? We form so much of our identity from our occupations that when we make that exit, we don't really know who we are. And our ego prevents us from using the word "unemployed".
But hey, I think sometimes being unemployed is good.
After about five years of being good friends with Belle and Cocoatina, yesterday was actually our first ladies' night out. Meaning a night out with alcohol. Well, Cocoatina had to settle for a peach cooler because Ethan-the-godson-who-doesn't-like-me would probably sink into a drunken stupor after drinking her milk. Haha.
For once in so many months, it felt really good to chill out with the girlfriends. I have been doing too much purpose-driven stuff, so much that I haven't realised how long I haven't gone out without a purpose. In a way then, it's good the boyfriend is out of town - diving again. By the way, at jazz@south bridge where we parked ourselves, there's this lovely singer called Angelita who does brazillian jazz really well. She'll be around till the end of this month, and she'll be back in April. If you're free, check her out.
And so...what a wonderful night I had :)
Saturday, February 11, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment