Tuesday, September 20, 2005

one thing after another...

Tired.

I'm an old woman at heart. I can't take non-stop activity. I need plenty of rest. I need to veg. Since last Friday, it's been just one thing after another. Some nerve-wracking, some fun.

Friday was the test. I had to handle a real-life case at a social service agency. Had been so anxious about it for many days because I was afraid I would do a bad job at it, and also that if I said something wrong, it would affect the client. While I'm relieved that it's over, it was a great learning experience for me. I'm glad to have had the chance to try it before I start work for real.


I think my brain must have been craving for some feel-goodness after being a bundle of nerves for nine hours, it wanted some alcohol! Decided to alight from the bus to have a nice dinner and a glass of white wine at Bliss, this cosy restaurant that has sprung up in the most unlikely of places - Punggol Park, a jogger's haunt in the heartlands. (See picture on right, of alfresco area overlooking the lake, and Sengkang flats in the background!)

It was just simply relaxing enjoying dinner (fish and chips) alone in the cool of the evening.

Saturday was back to school for project!!! My mum couldn't believe her ears. She actually said: "Huh, how come got project???"

Mum, I'm a student now.

I must really thank God that ALL my project mates are DAMN ON!!! All did their readings and were soooo enthusiastic!!! One of them, a 46-year-old father of three, even took the initiative to prepare some powerpoint slides first.

I take my hat off them. I felt lazy next to them.

So it was 10am to 3pm (imagine that!) at school discussing, then it was off to cell group for a very invigorating discussion on tithing (thank you Ivan), and then it was karaoke from 8pm to midnight with olduvai and dsd.

Heh. Olduvai can sing Chinese songs leh :) And to welcome the Mooncake Festival, we crooned to Xu Meijing's Cheng Li De Yue Guang (loosely translated, Moonlight in the City). Sorry, me dunno how to type Chinese characters on PC.

And now to last night, leo and I caught Bar at Buena Vista!!! Yes, while we sat in the ageing seats (wood was peeling off, I like) at Victoria Concert Hall, we were transported back to Havana with the mesmerising sounds of Cuban music.

It is one of those rare times when you get to see so many legends on stage. About 10 musicians and dancers were on stage, but believe you me, if you added the ages of just three of them, you would get a grand total of more than 200.

Most memorable was 87-year-old Reynaldo Creagh, whose rich vocals rang resonantly in the hall, never faltering once. When he did not sing, he would sit back with his legs crossed, in a grandfather's rocking chair. Indeed, his frail frame and walking cane were deceiving.

We joked that we would not be surprised if the small old man would suddenly breathe his last in the rocking chair, only to laugh in amazement when he started to jive to the upbeat tunes. A slight twist to the right and to the left, an elegant turn on one foot, some nifty footwork to impress.

The most amusing part? His victory sign at the end of the show! Imagine a little old man flashing two upturned fingers at you like he's the champion of the soccer game.

He made growing old look so fun :)

No comments: