Oh yes...I wrote the last post without talking about cabbies at all.
If you were to ask me what I've found most memorable about my time in this monopolistic company that I work for, it would be the taxi rides. Cocoatina, my cab conversationist (I always call her only when I'm zipping from one assignment to another in a cab) finds my adventures quite amusing, I must say.
1. There was the lecher who scanned me with those perv eyes the moment I closed the door. He kept on turning around to look at me in the back seat, with a smirk on his face. He even locked all the doors in the cab using his master lock, which freaked me out totally. He also tried interrupting my phone conversation with Cocoatina! I had smsed her his car number, she freaked out and called me, talked to me throughout my whole journey so he would know I had a witness! HAH.
2. There was the RUDE one, who barked at me when I didn't have small change for him. When I asked him very nicely how he wanted to settle the bill, he retorted: "Of cos go bank lah! If not then how??? HIYAH, I wanted to ask you one (voice trails off - he CLAIMED he had meant to ask me at the start of the journey if I had small notes, but of course, he didn't)." I chide him for his attitude, he gets angry and says: "Aiya, don't want your money lah. Go!" Of course I go, I get a free ride :) What an idiot.
3. There're the story-tellers:
- there's one who believes that there is only one cause for the downfall of all companies: the presence of traitors. I think he seriously watches too much TV. Apparently there's this J from XXX taxi company who defected to a new taxi company, wrote letters to all the good drivers from XXX and asked them to defect as well, promising them incentives. When I asked him how he knew, he proffered some proverb: "Where the bird flies, there are feathers. Where a man walks, there are footprints." Cheem ah.
- there's one who spouts great maxims like "when you work, you feel sleepy. when you don't work, you feel awake. when you go on holiday, you feel even more awake!". And he hoped to win Toto the next day. If he did, he would take one year off work to holiday.
- there's one new agey guy who speaks to his plants. He says that he had a plant which was dying, and he started praising it for a few days, telling it "you are so beautiful, you are my world bla bla" and the plant blossomed. He also loves the pineapple from this stall next to the Sub Courts and made me watch his taxi while he ran to get his favourite pineapple. The cost of waiting? 10 cents, which he deducted from my fare. So fair hor?
and more and more......too much to tell.
Interesting right? :)
Thursday, June 16, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment