Monday, September 01, 2008
The Genesis Project - A Christian Songwriting Festival
Every time I hear people say "I wrote this song after a breakup", I always think it's so darn cheesy. I mean, get a life dude. But now, I'm going to say the same. Yet at the same time, it's also not really the same. You know how when you say something and there's that uncomfortable nudge that presses against your heart? Yeah, that's how I feel when I say "I wrote this song after a breakup". I did write it after, but NOT because. And that's the difference. I wrote it because I was beginning to realise that I didn't need to belong to anyone except God my Father. Man was created to have a companion, and therefore it is only natural for us to yearn for one. However, I am starting to understand that I can only really "settle down" when I know ultimately that God is the one to whom I belong - no one else. On earth, I am only on loan to my partner, and this nugget of wisdom I gained from Darren and Mel's wedding sermon by that Methodist lady pastor (how out of the blue, but it only proves that God was speaking to me)...
And hence, this song started out with this verse that Chye Aik shared at a sermon...
"I would have lost heart, unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living." Psalm 27:13 (NKJV)
I Belong
V1
I'm just a sentimental freak
Standing at the crossroad of hello and goodbye
The further I walk the deeper I'm lost
Where do I begin
Where do I begin
V2
Give me a home where I belong
Somewhere this wild heart can stop running and breath
I need a place to end this insanity
Bring me back again
To where you begin
Chorus
Cos I belong, I belong to you
I belong, I belong to you
You've given me the sweetest hope that I could hold on to
You've given me eternity in my heart
In my heart
V3
I've found a place to lay my head
A sweet salvation for this darkest hour
I would have lost heart unless I'd believed
In your loving goodness
In this broken world
Bridge
I had to throw my faith in something I could not see
When I believed in what seemed like emptiness
You gave me security
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Hey this is a good song. Any where or how to dl this full song?
Julia
hey julia, we'll be doing a proper recording soon, according to andrea. but for now, i only have 2 not-very-nice versions. one is a mono recording that i did on my macbook (just guit and vocals), and the other is recorded on jem's recorder during a rehearsal in the band studio. you can get that recording from jem, tho it's not the most ideal! haha. if u still want my original mono recording (just guit and vocals), i can email you. let me know!
Mono recording's good. I'd love it. Thanks :)
My email's howboutthis@gmail.com
Continue writing more inspiring music :)
Julia
Hey the lyrics are really good - touching, sweet,insipring etc.... got goosebumps reading it man ....
I couldnt download/view the video tho :(
yo cami, great that you somehow connected with the lyrics! :)
can't view the video? hmm...that's really weird. u shd be able to view it by just clicking play. u can't download it tho. if u still hv the problem, let me know. i can email u the vid.
Tried again but still can't. Email pls :) camicheongym@yahoo.com.sg!
Hi Dawn...this is a really special song. You know, it may be your "break-up" song, but I really love the way you've written the lyrics in such a way that it will mean something to most people. mind if you send me the mono recording too? :) mellie.writes@gmail.com
yo old neighbour, u r getting lotsa request from others. am sure it's another good touching song. I still remember your first song on the wu tai ju xin (star on stage) and the liu xin(meteorite). Can contd to send songs to me, i super desperate for chinese pop, and even ur composition, u know i will give GENUINE constructive criticism.
Post a Comment