Tuesday, March 14, 2006

which comes first?

Which comes first? The chicken or the egg?
Ans: .............

In Singapore, which comes first? The marriage proposal or the application for an HDB flat?
Ans: Application for an HDB flat. DUH.

I'm stuck.
S.T.U.C.K.
Stuck in the rat race. I have applied for an HDB flat before the proposal. And when your boyfriend asks you in jest, so how ah, now that we've applied for a flat, when you want me to propose, you know you're really stuck. Living in Singapore totally sucks the romance out of marriage. And yet, strangely, I don't want to leave. Too comfortable. He wants to leave though. I don't.

Too comfortable. Yeah. He and I are too comfortable in the way we are together. We are very happy. But the practical thing to do - and it's always about being practical in Singapore - is to find a roof over our heads. And so, he has had to do the thing that I know he wished he didn't have to do. He had to suggest marriage with a silent "let's get a flat".

I'm perfectly ok with it. In fact, I told him I didn't want a ring for a proposal, because I hate wearing rings. No fanciful stuff please. That makes me want to dig a hole in the ground and hide myself. Well, he knows me lah. I just want to know that I will be happy that we are together. That's all.

It just sucks having to be practical in Singapore.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well that's the way it works in singapore girl! anyway marriage IS a very practical thing, unlike the romantic notions that we have from movies....finances play a big big part in marriage, and a HOME is probably the biggest financial burden a couple will have. so i don't think it just applies to singapore...it's probably a stigma because of the govt's public housing scheme which makes the 'HDB' tag seem very cliche!
anyway as long as you are happy and he's happy, it's ok lah!
see you next sat :) happy bday in advance!!!
~ oinks