
Every Chinese New Year, relatives from my mum's side never fail to take family pictures. On 初一, we missed one person though...my houseman cousin who had spent the last 24hrs on call at the hospital. She crashed the moment she reached home. In the words of her younger sister,
cheh is in a coma now. I took a second look at this picture and suddenly it occurred to me that boys and men don't feature very much in our photos. I wonder if my bro feels left out! Anyways, I think the funniest thing about this CNY was my grandaunt telling me she tried to sell her peranakan *
kam cheng (a porcelain container that holds spices and water) to the Nonya museum after seeing Jeanette Aw try to sell hers for $50,000 on the TV serial Little Nyonya. She reckoned her small
kam cheng could fetch $5,000!!! Hahaha. She didn't finish her story, and it was lost in the din, but I think she wasn't very successful.
*Kam Cheng means 感情 in Mandarin. I tried to google an explanation of its symbolism, because I've forgotten what was said in the TV show. But couldn't find the explanation. Sorry about that! Anyone who knows, please say...
No comments:
Post a Comment