Saturday, January 05, 2008

The artist

I wanted to write about my experience visiting a brand new school for teens artistically inclined, because there has been so much hype about it. But writing about it might pose a conflict of interests, since my agency's services have been engaged by it. All I can say is that this is the first time I've witnessed students enjoying a singing lesson during assembly, as the animated music HOD was determined to have them sing the national anthem beautifully. By the way, it was sung a capella, with the music HOD singing the introduction to it. Quite revolutionary, I thought.

Being there made me wonder if I would have made it to the school if there was such an institution in my time. I think maybe not, because my classical piano grades sucked. And I hated to practise classical pieces. Plus, I lack passion. But it would have been pretty inspiring to study with a whole bunch of artistic teens, I guess!

I'm pretty determined to brush up on my piano and synth skills this year though, because of the excellent music worship team I play with. I think without them, I would have been even lazier. It's weird huh, how they have so much passion and I don't. Can't really call myself a music lover, but I know without music, I'd feel empty. I'm such a contradiction.

And, sigh...it seems I really do have a soft spot for guy musicians. It would really be a bonus if the next one who comes along is a church musician. It would be great if we both could serve together in the music worship ministry. That would be simply perfect. Then again, I don't know what's gonna happen for me this year, so I just gotta wait. Quite painful...

:)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, i feel you. Regarding all that you wrote about music and brushing up of skills. As i was reading, i was saying 'same here!'. haha.

2008 is gonna be an exciting year for you i'm sure.

Julia (Jer's gf)

Anonymous said...

you never know what the person that God has in store for you will be like ;) maybe he won't even be remotely musical in any way at all..worse still, he could be tone deaf! haha!
~w

Dawn said...

hey julia, i read your blog post too, and also thought to myself: i feel the same way too! haha. but then again i thought, at least you still teach music, so better than me lah. i'm just one lazy girl :) and getting older by the way doesn't help! cherish your youth! it's true!

sooty: tone deaf...hmm...that would be quite sad leh...but if that's how God wants it to be, then i cannot fight lah! but i still secretly hope (and pray) that he is NOT tone deaf. haha.