Sunday, September 03, 2006

Do you want dessert?

Or, in mandarin, 你要甜品吗

I think we were asked that question at least four times in 10 minutes, after different servers at Lee Kui (Ah Hoi) Restaurant noticed we were done with our dinner. Rather than feel irritated, I was quite amused. Err...so they get commission for recommending desserts ah?

I usually don't write about food cos I absolutely don't know how to describe flavours. And, sometimes I can't even identify exactly what I'm eating. I only know general terms like green veggie, meat, you get the idea. But, because I'm currently reading Ruth Reichl's Garlic and Sapphires (saw it on olduvai's blog), I couldn't resist writing something on food.

First dish was a cold dish, served with ice cubes. In Hokkien, it's called ter kah dang (sounded something like that). It's meat from pig's trotters contained in some hard jelly-like rectangular cubes. Served with parsley and sliced cucumbers. First time I've ever eaten it and it's not bad.

Next came the oyster omelette - yummy. Oysters very fresh. Then there was Taiwan dou miao, just the right sweetness. Lastly, we had crayfish in some eggy gravy. Delicious too.

The bill came up to about $20 per person. Cheap for the big portions we got! Definitely value for money.

I wish I had ordered my kong bah though... was craving for the fragrant fatty pork after dinner! Also craving for longan dessert, but my mum made it seem like a crime to order it from the restaurant cos it's "cheaper to buy from NTUC". Hmm. Well, I did end up at a supermart to buy a can of longans for $1.10! I mean, there needs to be some closure right?

Nice way to end the evening. :)

Lee Kui (Ah Hoi) Restaurant
8, 9, 10 Mosque Street

By the way, they don't accept credit cards.

2 comments:

RealLifeReading said...

Sigh, I miss kong bah!!

Dawn said...

i may right here in sg, and i miss it too!