Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Death and reunion

It has been a pretty bizarre night. I queued tirelessly to enter the Istana to pay my last respects to Mr Wee Kim Wee - a gesture I would only call sombre - but ended up meeting a friend I hadn't seen in seven years and having to endure the blabbering of a woman who got over-excited from seeing PM Lee Hsien Loong.

First, I have to point out that Singaporeans really do love our ex-president. From the time I started queueing till the time I left the Istana grounds, one-and-a-half hours had passed. Saw some colleagues covering the wake and was I glad I never have to chase such stories again.

ANYWAY. After I finally alighted from the mini-van that ferried us along a path in the Istana to the house where the body lay, I had to queue to go into the house. And this very auntie-woman behind me got super excited about the motorcade that was passing us by.

She nudged me, continuously, mind you, and whispered (well it was a very audible whisper): "Quick! Quick! Take out your camera! There there there!! See or not!! The prime minister is in the car. Quick! Just take lah, no one will see one. Faster!"

I replied, calmly: "I don't want to take him."

She, still nudging me, said: "QUICK!!! Quick take!!! Eh, that one that one, that one is the Indonesian ambassador. Indonesian ambassador you know. That one that one!! Zainal Abidin..."

I roll my eyes to the sky and ignore her.

Then, in the house, as the ushers in military uniforms signalled us to wait as the visitors stepped up to the coffin in neat rows, I heard someone say: "Dawn, this way please."

Like what??? I turned and almost screamed in shock. Yes, almost, just two metres away from where the casket lay. Totally disrespectful. I covered my mouth and realised that it was the captain of my sailing team from JC!!! OMG!!! I haven't seen him since J2!!! He has been usher for the public at the Istana since Mr Wee passed on.

We exchanged numbers very quickly. And so, the connection that was broken was made again. Under very bizarre circumstances.

Anyways, back to the ex-president. Despite all the unexpected occurrences of the night, I am glad I got to pay my last respects to a man I truly believe was the People's President.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

aiyoh, that auntie-woman is so annoying!

Anonymous said...

I remember interviewing him two years ago regarding his memoirs. What was supposed to be a one-hour interview stretched to a three-hour meeting that included lunch. I remember we had kway teow soup. He was quite frail by then, and could eat only the "cheng" (clear) stuff.

Anyway, I'm now in Cairo. Will be going to the Pyramids tomorrow! See ya in two weeks - will be on course then, so we can meet for (hopefully) stress-free lunches.

Dawn said...

liarphang: hello! hope UK's treating you well :)

kartaly: wah so on. go turkey/egypt for work trip also read my blog. you're the best. muaks!!! pls take care of yourself in egypt, stay away from touristy areas!

Anonymous said...

wynne here.
i can so imagine ur reaction when u saw smurf. haha. and yes, eugenie's the one who reminded me that you guys used to call him that. heheh :)
and that auntie, slap her face!!!