Sunday, March 21, 2010

Birthday

Today I turn 31. As I lay in bed, sick with a bout of what I think should be gastric flu, I turn contemplative. Last night I received a surprise bouquet of flowers from two friends, and I was so touched I almost cried. Four years ago, I would have commented that the flowers were a waste of money because they would simply wilt and die in a matter of days. Practical me, with practical wants. Today, my heart leaps at embracing that short moment of beauty and spontaneity. A moment in time that words cannot capture, but only the heart can feel and appreciate. Sick with gastric flu, yes. I still couldn't resist the urge to walk over and smell the scent of the white lilies. I hope it lingers a while more...

2 comments:

Michelle-Lea said...

Wow!!! Our flowers look so absolutely pretty in that vase! :) Glad we made you happy dear.

aberwyn said...

It's fleeting beauty that makes it more appreciated. Happy Birthday. :)