It's been too long since I last wrote.....two months? Well, today I just had to write. Welcome back slumbering gal.
Not many pple know this story, but there was this 78-year-old (think he's Eurasian) man I met at Braddell MRT station abt two months back. His spine was arched like a mini camel's back. He carried a plastic bag in one hand and with the other, he tried to balance himself as he shuffled - what I believed was 5cm at a time - towards the turnstile. The stranger acting as his crutch looked so much to be in a hurry, I decided to take over.
When I probed, he offered part of his name, told me he was married with no kids, wife had died and he was on his way to shenton way to see his doctor for his spine problem. He was walking perfect just three months back before the spine problem attacked. Feeling a pang of compassion, I got his address and visited twice. He lives alone in a cluttered three-room flat in Toa Payoh. Well, the third visit was yesterday but he wasn't home, so I left a packet of lunch, seven 10-cent coins for him to call, and contact numbers of welfare organisations he could dial. Now to think back, apart from feeling like I really wanted to help, I was also intrigued by his perfect English, sense of wit and humour, as well as independent spirit - which I witnessed in that brief 10 minutes I led him to the turnstile.
In fact, he just called with a conversation that I didn't know to take as kind advice or a chiding. He offered thanks, but firmly said he wanted to return my coins. Then he said: "Don't go out of your way to be kind because this is a cruel world. I'm offering this advice from my years of experience, remember I told you I was a doctor? People can misconstrue your kind intentions, so don't go out of your way to be kind."
As soon as he said that, because I'd offered to visit him today or tomorrow, he asked me to give a time. And then he said: "Well remember I told you I have testimonials from my ex patients? I want to show them to you, so you can decide if I'm a parasite or a service to society."
What do you say to an old man who tells you this?
I'm curious to hear more stories about his days as a surgeon, plastic surgeon and missionary doctor to Pakistan, India and other countries. I'm even more excited to hear his philosophies and beliefs about life.
It feels like Tuesdays with Morrie. Only that today's Thursday.
Thursday, December 30, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment